January 25, 2015 - Aker Solutions today started a five-month test program to capture carbon emissions from the municipality-operated waste-to-energy Klemetsrud plant in Oslo, Norway.
The project is the first of its kind globally for a waste-to-energy plant and comes after Aker Solutions in December signed a contract with the city government. The project is funded by Gassnova, the state enterprise that supports the development and demonstration of technologies to capture carbon dioxide (CO2).
"This is pioneering work with significant potential as the world focuses on finding ways to limit carbon emissions," said Valborg Lundegaard, head of Aker Solutions' engineering business. "As such, this pilot project is of international importance."
Carbon capture and storage (CCS) is an important tool in reducing CO2 emissions and curtailing global warming. The test will be a key element in qualifying Aker Solutions' amine-based CO2 capture technology for commercial application at waste-to-energy plants globally. There are about 450 such plants in operation in Europe and about 700 globally.
"We see potential in this market across the world," said Lundegaard.
The test will be conducted using the company's mobile test unit for carbon capture. The gas released from Klemetsrud contains about 10 percent CO2 and is treated in several steps before it enters the mobile unit. Klemetsrud, which gets a majority of its feedstock from biomass, emits about 300,000 tons of CO2 per year.
"We expect to capture up to 90 percent of the CO2," said Oscar Graff, Head of CCS at Aker Solutions. "The tests will verify important operating parameters such as energy consumption, solvent degradation, losses and required solvent make-up."
About Aker Solutions
- Aker Solutions offers advanced carbon capture technology and other solutions through the carbon capture and storage value chain, including enhanced oil recovery
- The company is a leading global carbon capture technology provider. Its technology was selected as preferred by ScottishPower in 2009 (winner of UK CCS Competition 1).
- The mobile test unit has been in continuous operation at industrial sites since 2008. It is designed, constructed and operated by Aker Solutions. It is a complete carbon capture facility in small scale and can be efficiently installed at sites to test the performance of capturing CO2 from various flue gasses.
- Aker Solutions has designed and delivered the amine plant at the Norwegian Technology Centre Mongstad (TCM) and successfully tested improved solvents at TCM for about two years.
- A new solvent has been developed and tested through extensive research done in cooperation with Norwegian academia. The robust, proprietary solvent has proven excellent operating performance, such as less energy consumption, high capture rate, minimum degradation and losses.
- Aker Solutions is a leader in sustainable energy solutions and employs approximately 16,000 people in about 20 countries
About Klemetsrudanlegget AS
- Norway's largest waste-to-energy plant with a capacity to burn 310,000 tonnes of waste per annum
- Owned by Oslo municipality, in operation since 1985
- Power production: 175 GWh
- District heating: 750 GWh
- Several stages of flue gas treatment
- Feed stock: waste containing 50-60% biomass
For further information, please contact:
Bunny Nooryani, Chief Communications Officer, Aker Solutions. Tel: +47 67 59 42 71, Mob: +47 480 27 575, E-mail: email@example.com
Anne Cecilie Lund-Andersen, Media Relations Manager, Aker Solutions. Tel: +47 22 94 74 52, Mob: +47 99 62 12 13, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
David Phillips, Head of Industry & Investor Relations, Aker Solutions. Tel: +44 208 811 7111, Mob: +44 7788 338 887, E-mail: email@example.com
Lasse Torkildsen, Senior Advisor, Aker Solutions. Tel: +47 67 51 30 39, Mob: +47 911 37 194, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aker Solutions is a global provider of products, systems and services to the oil and gas industry. Its engineering, design and technology bring discoveries into production and maximize recovery. The company employs approximately 16,000 people in about 20 countries. Go to www.akersolutions.com for more information on our business, people and values.
This press release may include forward-looking information or statements and is subject to our disclaimer, see www.akersolutions.com.
This announcement is distributed by NASDAQ OMX Corporate Solutions on behalf of NASDAQ OMX Corporate Solutions clients.
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Aker Solutions ASA via Globenewswire