PITTSBURGH, Sept. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Bloomberg BNA today announced that it is hosting A Chain Reaction: The Role of Nuclear Energy in PJM's Energy Mix, a morning conversation exploring the future role of nuclear energy in the regional grid which covers Pennsylvania and all or parts of 12 states and Washington, D.C. The third in a series of nationwide events underwritten by Nuclear Matters, the latest discussion is being held in Pittsburgh on Wednesday, September 30, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Westin Convention Center. Complimentary registration is available here.
The event will commence with a conversation with Lawrence B. Lindsey, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Lindsey Group. Prior to forming The Lindsey Group, he held the position of Assistant to the President and Director of the National Economic Council at the White House and was the chief economic adviser to candidate George W. Bush during the 2000 Presidential campaign.
"The low cost of natural gas throughout the region, changes emanating from the EPA Clean Power Plan, and a growing penetration of intermittent renewable technologies pose economic challenges to the nuclear power plants serving the PJM service region," said Chris Gadomski, Head of Research, Nuclear, at Bloomberg New Energy Finance and session moderator for the event series. "Nuclear plays a key role in Pennsylvania's energy mix and this event will explore from multiple perspectives what role it may play in the region going forward."
Topics being discussed at the event include:
- The recent history of nuclear power in Pennsylvania — and the prospect for future nuclear energy production in the region.
- The potential impact of continued low natural gas prices and the ramification of growing renewable energy penetration on the PJM grid — and its impact on the economics of existing nuclear plants.
- The impact of the possible closure of regional reactors in the PJM service area on the local manufacturing industry, economy, energy prices — and Pennsylvania's focus on educating and training a world-class nuclear energy workforce.
- The implications for nuclear energy in the region following new EPA regulations.
In addition to Lawrence Lindsey, speakers at the Pittsburgh event include:
- Sam Belcher, Chief Nuclear Officer, FirstEnergy Solutions
- Maria Korsnick, COO, Nuclear Energy Institute
- Dr. Arthur Motta, Chairman of Nuclear Engineering Program, Penn State University
- Danny Roderick, President and CEO, Westinghouse
- Gene Barr, President and CEO, Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Michael Bryson, Vice President, Operations, PJM Interconnection
Additional events will be held throughout 2015 and 2016 in major U.S. cities. Complimentary registration for the Pittsburgh session is available here.
About Bloomberg BNA
Bloomberg BNA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bloomberg, is a leading source of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals. Its network of more than 2,500 reporters, correspondents, and leading practitioners delivers expert analysis, news, practice tools, and guidance — the information that matters most to professionals. Bloomberg BNA's authoritative coverage spans a full range of legal practice areas, including tax & accounting, labor & employment, intellectual property, banking & securities, employee benefits, health care, privacy & data security, human resources, and environment, health & safety.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bloomberg-bna-and-nuclear-matters-hosting-september-30-event-in-pittsburgh-on-the-role-of-nuclear-energy-in-the-region-300145155.html
SOURCE Bloomberg BNA