Consumers Energy Recognizes Legacy of Michigan Families Through Certification of 33 Historic Farms
JACKSON, Mich., Feb. 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers Energy awarded commemorative signs to 33 Michigan Centennial and Sesquicentennial Farms in 2015, recognizing them as being working farms owned by the same families for 100 and 150 years.
"We are honored to help recognize the work of these family farms because they continue a distinguished and important role in helping shape our state's history and economy," said Carolyn Bloodworth, Consumers Energy's director of corporate giving. "Consumers Energy's annual donation of $20,000 to the Historical Society of Michigan helps maintain this important recognition program."
To be designated as a Centennial Farm, a property must be a working farm of 10 or more acres that has been continuously owned by the same family for at least 100 years. Once a farm has been certified by the Historical Society of Michigan, the owners will receive a display marker for their farm and certificate.
"The Historical Society of Michigan is delighted to partner with Consumers Energy to honor centennial farms. Together, we recognize the longevity and important contributions that centennial farms and their families bring to Michigan's cultural heritage and to the ongoing vitality of agriculture in our state," said Larry Wagenaar, executive director of the Historical Society of Michigan.
Since its inception in 1948 the Historical Society has certified more than 6,000 farms that have been in the same family for 100 years or more.
The 33 farms within Consumers Energy electric and/or gas service areas that were certified in 2015 are:
- Christ Betz Farm, Blissfield, Lenawee County, Centennial
- James Cook Farm, Litchfield, Hillsdale County, Sesquicentennial
- Abram A. Knowles Farm, Addison, Lenawee County, Sesquicentennial
- Charles Smith Farm, Temperance, Monroe County, Sesquicentennial
- Albert and Ida Van Arman Farm, Marshall, Calhoun County, Centennial
- Gerrit Boerichter Gerd Farm, Hamilton, Allegan County, Centennial
- James and Lucy Emmons Farm, Allegan, Allegan County, Centennial
- Frederick and Catharine Unger Farm, Allegan, Allegan County, Centennial
- Christopher F. and Catherine Reichle Farm, Bay City, Bay County, Centennial
- John J. and Anna McReavey Farm, Rosebush, Isabella County, Centennial
- Frank L. and Hattie A. Petersen Farm, Edmore, Montcalm County, Centennial
- Isaac R. and Celestina Loar Farm, Beaverton, Clare County, Centennial
- William and Myrtie Burnett Farm, Charlotte, Eaton County, Centennial
- Edward and Joseph Pashak Farm, Midland, Bay County, Centennial
- Richard T. Terrell Farm, Bannister, Gratiot County, Centennial
- Daniel Mahoney Farm, St. Charles, Saginaw County, Centennial
- Alfred Merrill Farm, Mt. Pleasant, Isabella County, Sesquicentennial
- Alexander Strachan, Muir, Ionia County, Sesquicentennial
- Carl Martin Siegrist Farm, Whittemore, Iosco County, Centennial
- Louisa Brindley Farm, West Branch, Ogemaw County, Centennial
- Henry Schmidt Farm, Grand Haven, Ottawa County, Centennial
- Jacob Cook Farm, Pewamo, Ionia County, Centennial
- Fred Oesch Farm, Alto, Kent County, Centennial
- Max and Nora Kayser Farm, Caledonia, Kent County, Centennial
- William and Jessie Dickinson Farm, White Cloud, Newaygo County, Centennial
- Rudolph and Minnie Schmidt Farm, Nunica, Ottawa County, Centennial
- Joseph and Clementine Kluting Farm, Coopersville, Ottawa County, Centennial
- Andrew H. and Ameria E. Hanna Farm, Casnovia, Muskegon County, Centennial
- Richard Morrison Farm, Fremont, Newaygo County, Sesquicentennial
- Duncan and Margaret Ross Farm, Alto, Kent County, Sesquicentennial
- John Kroupa, Jr. Farm, Traverse City, Grand Traverse County, Centennial
- Charles and Catherine Brozofsky, Beulah, Benzie County, Centennial
- John Baptiste Porter Farm, Kaleva, Manistee, Sesquicentennial
Consumers Energy, Michigan's largest utility, is the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), providing natural gas and electricity to 6.6 million of the state's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
For more information about Consumers Energy, go to www.ConsumersEnergy.com.
Check out Consumers Energy on Social Media
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/consumersenergymichigan
Twitter - https://twitter.com/consumersenergy
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/consumersenergy
Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/consumersenergy/
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/consumers-energy-recognizes-legacy-of-michigan-families-through-certification-of-33-historic-farms-300213285.html
SOURCE Consumers Energy
Source: PR Newswire
(February 2, 2016 - 6:00 AM EST)
News by QuoteMedia