CLEVELAND, Oct. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion East Ohio reminds customers on the eve of heating season that annual inspections by qualified, reputable contractors will help ensure year-round safety, comfort and efficiency from furnaces, water heaters and other natural gas appliances.
Besides helping customers receive maximum value for their energy dollars, an annual appliance inspection may prevent any potential carbon monoxide problems. Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors provide a second line of defense, but they should not be used as a substitute for an annual furnace inspection. Combined with an annual inspection, CO detectors placed in each bedroom can offer additional peace of mind.
Along with that annual inspection, customers should change furnace filters according to the manufacturer's instructions to receive the best possible value for their heating dollars. For a listing of local contractors, customers can call Dominion's Comfort Line at 1-800-427-1471 weekdays between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
While checking a furnace, the contractor should make a visual inspection of all vents, heat exchangers and motors. Dominion notes that a thorough inspection should include:
- Lubricating the blower bearings and blower motor as recommended by the manufacturer;
- Visually inspecting all vents, the heat exchanger and filters;
- Checking the pilot light if the furnace has one;
- Higher efficient furnaces, without pilot lights, require the flame sensor to be cleaned and checked;
- Cleaning the main burners;
- Clearing the furnace area of any dust or combustible materials;
- Cleaning dust from the blower compartment;
- Testing the thermostat to ensure the heating system works as it should;
- Checking the safety components on the heating equipment, such as limit controls and pilot safety and pressure switches;
- Checking the flue to ensure it is clean and open. Any fuel that does not burn completely can create harmful levels of carbon monoxide. The gas can collect in a home if a fuel-burning appliance is not working or venting properly;
- Make sure the annual inspection includes all other gas appliances, such as water heaters, gas logs, vent-free heaters, ranges and clothes dryers.
Dominion East Ohio is a unit of Dominion (NYSE: D) is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 24,400 megawatts of generation, 12,200 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline, and 6,490 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion operates one of the nation's largest natural gas storage systems with 928 billion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves utility and retail energy customers in 14 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's website at www.dom.com or Dominion Energy Solutions at www.DominionEnergy.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dominion-east-ohio-says-annual-professional-inspections-help-furnaces-other-gas-appliances-deliver-maximum-safety-and-efficiency-300160500.html
SOURCE Dominion East Ohio