AKRON, Ohio, Oct. 26, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Trick or treat is here – the time when little ghosts, goblins and, most likely, a Dracula, a Minion and an Avenger or two, will run door-to-door, excitedly collecting treats from their neighbors. FirstEnergy Corp.'s (NYSE: FE) utilities would like to remind all participants in this honored and fun tradition – from hosts and parents to children in costumes – and motorists – to include safety as part of their plans before the big night arrives.
Plan to limit your travels to well-lit, familiar areas, and never go trick-or-treating alone – it's less fun and less safe. Also, be sure costumes are visible after dark and that costume masks don't block the vision of the wearer. Carrying a flashlight or including reflective material or glow sticks as part of a costume improves visibility for all.
Also, motorists should use extra caution during trick or treat hours, especially on smaller neighborhood streets without street lights.
Additional safety tips include:
- Use electric lights, battery-powered tea lights or glow sticks in jack o' lanterns instead of burning candles.
- Wear flame-resistant costumes and never walk near lit candles or luminaries.
- Keep walking areas and steps well lit and free of obstacles to avoid falls.
- Wherever possible use established crosswalks and look both ways before crossing the street.
- Decorative lights should be approved by Underwriter's Laboratory and carry a UL seal on the tag. Red UL marks indicate the lights are approved for indoor or outdoor use, while green UL tags indicate approval for indoor use only.
- Outdoor lights and decorations should be plugged into outlets that feature Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs).
- Indoor lights should not touch drapes, carpet or furniture.
- Place all lights on a timer if you'll be away from home, and turn off all lights before you go to bed.
Additional recommendations to stay safe this Halloween can be found at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, www.cdc.gov/family/halloween.
FirstEnergy's utilities include: Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company and Toledo Edison in Ohio; Penelec, Met-Ed, Penn Power and West Penn Power in Pennsylvania; Jersey Central Power & Light in New Jersey; Mon Power and Potomac Edison in West Virginia; Potomac Edison in Maryland; and Penelec in New York.
FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. Visit FirstEnergy on the web at www.firstenergycorp.com, or follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/firstenergy-utilities-offer-halloween-safety-tips-300166033.html
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.