JUNO BEACH, Fla., Jan. 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is reminding its customers of ways to stay warm while saving energy and staying safe as the company closely tracks the year's first significant, widespread blast of cold weather expected to make temperatures plummet overnight across the state.
"While extended periods of extremely cold weather are rare in Florida, we are constantly monitoring the forecast and preparing for increased demand on our system so we can continue to deliver the reliable electric service our customers expect from us," said Marlene Santos, vice president of customer service.
Most heating systems in Florida are not energy efficient. In fact, it can take up to three times more electricity to heat a home than to cool it.
"We deliver electricity that's among the cleanest and most reliable in the country at a price that's well below the national average, but we are always finding ways to help our customers save even more money, especially when it's cold," Santos said. "We are also urging our customers to make safety a top priority when they heat their homes."
Saving energy and keeping warm
FPL encourages its customers to use energy wisely to keep their bills as low as possible when temperatures drop. Here are some ways to make energy-conscious decisions and keep warm:
- Take it one degree at a time – Lowering your thermostat one degree during cold weather can save you five percent on your monthly heating costs. We recommend heating your home at 68 degrees with the fan switch set to "auto" and turning the heat off when you leave.
- Keep filters clean – Clean or replace your air conditioner filter every month to trim your heating costs and help your unit run more efficiently.
- Don't let the air escape – Seal doors and windows with weatherstripping or caulk to keep warm air from leaking out.
- Harness the sun's power – Heat your home with the sun by keeping your south-facing windows clean. Keep your curtains open during the day and be sure to close them at night.
- Take shorter showers – People tend to take longer showers in colder weather, which increases water heating costs, so try to make it brief and remember to use a low-flow showerhead.
- Turn down water heater temperature – Most water heaters are set to 140 degrees, but you'll still have plenty of hot water at 115 to 120 degrees.
Staying safe and keeping warm
FPL encourages its customers to stay safe when heating their homes, especially when using space heaters. Remember to:
- Only use space heaters for limited amounts of time and not as a primary heat source.
- Direct space heaters to warm people, not space.
- Keep flammable materials such as bedding, clothing, draperies, rugs and furniture at least three feet away from the heater.
- Keep space heaters away from children and pets.
- Keep space heaters away from water to avoid electric shock.
- Turn off and unplug the heater when leaving the room for an extended period of time.
- Avoid using extension cords.
Customers can also take advantage of FPL's Online Home Energy Survey to receive a personalized savings plan filled with energy-saving tips and recommendations based on their unique energy consumption.
About Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company is the third-largest electric utility in the United States, serving approximately 4.8 million customer accounts across nearly half of the state of Florida. FPL's typical 1,000-kWh residential customer bill is approximately 30 percent lower than the latest national average and, in 2014, was the lowest in Florida among reporting utilities for the fifth year in a row. FPL's service reliability is better than 99.98 percent, and its highly fuel-efficient power plant fleet is one of the cleanest among all utilities nationwide. The company was recognized in 2015 as one of the most trusted U.S. electric utilities by Market Strategies International. A leading Florida employer with approximately 8,700 employees, FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), a clean energy company widely recognized for its efforts in sustainability, ethics and diversity, including being ranked in the top 10 worldwide for innovativeness and community responsibility as part of Fortune's 2015 list of "World's Most Admired Companies." NextEra Energy is also the parent company of NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. For more information, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120301/FL62738LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fpl-monitoring-overnight-drop-in-temperatures-across-the-state-300208793.html
SOURCE Florida Power & Light Company