BAGHDAD, Nov. 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Honeywell (NYSE:HON) today announced that it will provide industry-leading process technology and advanced automation controls to Iraq's Karbala refinery, now under construction in Karbala Province, about 120 kilometers south of Baghdad.
The grassroots refinery will use industry-leading refining processes from Honeywell UOP and automation controls from Honeywell Process Solutions (HPS) to allow Iraq's State Company of Oil Projects' (SCOP) Karbala refinery to maximize production of fuel and other products that will help offset the more than 350,000 barrels per day of refined products the country currently imports. These technologies will also help meet growing domestic demand with products meeting international standards equivalent to Euro V fuel standards. Startup of the 140,000 barrel-per-day refinery is expected in 2020.
"The Honeywell solution combines UOP's deep process knowledge with HPS's expertise in plant automation to make the refinery run at the top of its capability," said Mike Millard, vice president and general manager of Honeywell UOP's Process Technology and Equipment business. "The integration of process technology with a controls solution enables the Karbala refinery to make more gasoline, diesel, fuel oil, jet fuel, liquefied petroleum gas and asphalt, and make it more efficiently."
"Honeywell has a great track record of successful projects implemented in Iraq," said Pieter Krynauw, vice president and general manager of HPS' Projects and Automation Solutions business. "When we combine UOP process technology with the HPS automation and controls, refineries will be able to reach peak performance faster and lower the total cost of ownership while getting the best return of investment for the project lifecycle."
Honeywell technologies licensed for the Karbala refinery include:
- The UOP Penex™ process to upgrade light naphtha feedstock to produce isomerate, a cleaner gasoline blend-stock that does not contain benzene, aromatics or olefins.
- The UOP fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) process to convert heavy feedstocks recovered from other refinery operations into high-octane gasoline.
- The UOP CCR Platforming™ process to convert low-quality naphtha to high-octane blending components for gasoline.
- The UOP Unionfining™ process to improve the quality of distillate boiling-range feedstocks to help meet tougher product specifications.
- The UOP Chlorsorb™ process to help meet stringent waste gas specifications.
- The Experion® Process Knowledge System (PKS), the heart of the Integrated Control and Safety Systems (ICSS), which unifies people with process, business requirements and asset management by enabling integration of all process control and safety systems and automation software under a single architecture.
- Safety Manager, which integrates process safety data, applications, system diagnostics and critical control strategies, and executes defined safety applications in a fully redundant architecture.
- Fire and gas safety systems, which include SIL3 certified safety systems connected to fire detectors, fire alarm panels, fire suppression systems, gas detectors, sounders and beacons to minimize the impact of any abnormal situations.
- UniSim® training simulators, which enable industrial sites better plan, deploy and manage a structured program for operator competency.
For more than 80 years, Honeywell has been committed to supporting the growth, development and economic diversification of the Middle East region, with 17 offices and more than 1,800 employees across the region, including three offices in Iraq. Honeywell offers one of the broadest product and solution portfolios for the region's key industries and vital infrastructure.
For more information about Honeywell's refining solutions visit: www.honeywellprocess.com and www.uop.com.
Honeywell Performance Materials and Technologies (PMT) is a global leader in developing advanced materials, process technologies and automation solutions. PMT's Advanced Materials businesses manufacture a wide variety of high-performance products, including environmentally friendlier refrigerants and materials used to manufacture end products such as bullet-resistant armor, nylon, computer chips and pharmaceutical packaging. Process technologies developed by PMT's UOP business (www.uop.com) form the foundation for most of the world's refiners, efficiently producing gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, petrochemicals and renewable fuels. PMT's Process Solutions business (www.honeywellprocess.com) is a pioneer in automation control, instrumentation and services for the oil and gas, refining, pulp and paper, industrial power generation, chemicals and petrochemicals, biofuels, life sciences, and metals, minerals and mining industries.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.
This release contains certain statements that may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, that address activities, events or developments that we or our management intends, expects, projects, believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. Such statements are based upon certain assumptions and assessments made by our management in light of their experience and their perception of historical trends, current economic and industry conditions, expected future developments and other factors they believe to be appropriate. The forward-looking statements included in this release are also subject to a number of material risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to economic, competitive, governmental, and technological factors affecting our operations, markets, products, services and prices. Such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance, and actual results, developments and business decisions may differ from those envisaged by such forward-looking statements. We identify the principal risks and uncertainties that affect our performance in our Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/honeywell-technology-to-drive-iraqs-most-advanced-refinery-300174209.html