PORI, Finland, Nov. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Honeywell (NYSE: HON) today announced it will provide its Experion® Process Knowledge System (PKS) automation controls and tank gauging systems for Finland's first liquefied natural gas (LNG) import terminal to efficiently supply natural gas to marine vessels and industrial facilities in Finland, helping to replace other fuels that have higher emissions.
The cleaner-burning natural gas will help these vessels and facilities meet emissions regulations in the Baltic Sea and Nordics. Honeywell technology is currently being used in about 40 similar LNG import and export terminals around the world.
Additionally, Honeywell's Enterprise Buildings Integrator (EBI) will connect and power comfort, safety and security systems within the terminal itself, creating a productive environment for workers. With tight integration between Experion PKS and EBI, operators will have one interface to access and manage all process and facility technology, which improves site-wide visibility and efficiency.
"Honeywell's technologies offer Skangas Oy an all-in-one solution that will help make their new facility efficient and productive from day one," said Pieter Krynauw, vice president and general manager of Honeywell Process Solutions' Projects and Automation Solutions business unit. "This fully integrated technology will help the terminal maximize its operations with accurate and on time information, precise measuring technologies, safety and security."
This will be the third LNG terminal for Skangas, one of the largest suppliers of small-scale LNG in the Nordic countries. The company operates similar facilities in Sweden and Norway to provide customers with natural gas for shipping, industrial and heavy-duty land transport needs. The Pori LNG terminal will have a capacity of 30,000 cubic meters and will be completed in the second half of 2016. Honeywell's tank gauging systems will be used on tanks provided through the Spanish engineering company FCC Industrial E. Infraestructuras Energeticas S.A.U.
"Demand for LNG in Finland continues to rise for industrial, shipping and heavy-duty land transport companies," said Tommy Mattila, Sales and Marketing director, Skangas. "It is critical that this terminal operates at the highest level of efficiency."
Honeywell technologies that will be used at the facility include:
- Experion® Process Knowledge System (PKS), the heart of the Integrated Control and Safety Systems (ICSS), which offers more than traditional distributed control systems (DCS) by unifying people with process, business requirements and asset management by enabling integration of all process control, safety systems and automation software.
- Enterprise Buildings Integrator (EBI) is a building management system that provides a single point of access to information and resources that help monitor, control and protect a facility. EBI will connect fire detection, intrusion detection, access control, video surveillance, and heating and cooling equipment at the new Skangas Oy terminal, and seamlessly share data with Experion PKS.
- Terminal Manager automates all operations at a bulk liquid terminal, including key monitoring and controlling functions such as product receipt, gate access control and loading.
- Safety Manager integrates process safety data, applications, system diagnostics and critical control strategies, and executes defined safety applications in a fully redundant architecture.
- SmartRadar FlexLine is one of Honeywell's portfolio of high-end radar tank gauges for the assessment of tank contents, tank inventory control and tank farm management.
- Portable Enraf Terminal is a portable device that enables access and reading of Honeywell Enraf tank gauges regardless of weather or operating conditions.
Honeywell Performance Materials and Technologies (PMT) is a global leader in developing advanced materials, process technologies and automation solutions. PMT's Advanced Materials businesses manufacture a wide variety of high-performance products, including environmentally friendlier refrigerants and materials used to manufacture end products such as bullet-resistant armor, nylon, computer chips and pharmaceutical packaging. Process technologies developed by PMT's UOP business (www.uop.com) form the foundation for most of the world's refiners, efficiently producing gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, petrochemicals and renewable fuels. PMT's Process Solutions business (www.honeywellprocess.com) is a pioneer in automation control, instrumentation and services for the oil and gas, refining, pulp and paper, industrial power generation, chemicals and petrochemicals, biofuels, life sciences, and metals, minerals and mining industries.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.
This release contains certain statements that may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, that address activities, events or developments that we or our management intends, expects, projects, believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. Such statements are based upon certain assumptions and assessments made by our management in light of their experience and their perception of historical trends, current economic and industry conditions, expected future developments and other factors they believe to be appropriate. The forward-looking statements included in this release are also subject to a number of material risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to economic, competitive, governmental, and technological factors affecting our operations, markets, products, services and prices. Such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance, and actual results, developments and business decisions may differ from those envisaged by such forward-looking statements. We identify the principal risks and uncertainties that affect our performance in our Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/honeywell-to-automate-finlands-first-liquefied-natural-gas-import-terminal-300177490.html