LAS VEGAS, Sept. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) employee volunteers build a house from the ground up, and hand over the keys to an elated single mother and her children. Tens of millions of dollars are spent conducting business with minority- and women-owned enterprises, supporting the company's strategic objectives and commitment to diversity. MGM Resorts and NRG Renew partner to install one of the nation's largest rooftop solar arrays at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, stretching a massive 20 acres.
These are just a few of the powerful displays of corporate citizenship chronicled in MGM Resorts' 2014 Annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report. Themed "Inspiration Begins With Us!", the report features the company's accomplishments in corporate social responsibility (CSR), which includes Diversity and Inclusion, Philanthropy and Community Engagement, and Environmental Sustainability initiatives. Released today, the report for 2014 is available for download on the company's CSR website, www.mgmresorts.com/csr.
"MGM Resorts continues to integrate CSR best practices at all levels of our company's operations and throughout our culture," said Jim Murren, Chairman & CEO of MGM Resorts International. "We firmly believe that our CSR efforts make us both a better company and a better corporate citizen, as we strive to uplift the communities in which we operate and work," continued Murren, a CR Magazine 2013 winner of the Responsible CEO of the Year Award.
From introducing the gaming industry's first formal diversity and inclusion initiative in 2000 to building the world's largest LEED Gold-certified "green" complex in CityCenter, to marshaling its employees to donate more than 1.6 million pounds of food last year, CSR is foundational to MGM Resorts' culture.
Named the "Responsible Business of the Year" at the 2014 Global Gaming Awards, MGM Resorts outlines additional CSR milestones in its report, including:
Diversity & Inclusion
- The management ranks among MGM Resorts' 62,000 employees include about 43 percent women, and 38 percent minorities.
- MGM Resorts continued to advance its efforts in supplier and construction diversity in 2014 by spending $189.5 million with diverse-owned suppliers, contractors and service providers.
- In 2014, MGM Resorts earned top accolades for its diversity best practices from national thought leaders, including: DiversityInc Magazine, Human Resources Officers Today, Universum, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, Women's Business Enterprise National Council and Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility.
Philanthropy & Community Engagement
- Eighty-one MGM Resorts Foundation grants provided education support to 109,771 children; food, housing and self-sufficiency assistance to 251,980 individuals and families; and vital assistance such as medical care and mental health counseling to 9,542 individuals and families.
- MGM Resorts' donation of more than 1.6 million pounds of food to Three Square, the leading Las Vegas food bank, earned the distinction as the largest single company donation in the nonprofit's history and one of the nation's largest single-city food drives last year.
- MGM Resorts employees volunteered 172,316 hours, providing nonprofit organizations with the equivalent of nearly $4 million in labor.
- MGM Resorts recycled and diverted from landfills nearly 56,000 tons of materials for a 2014 recycling diversion rate of 47 percent.
- A 20-acre, 6.4 megawatt (MW) solar photovoltaic (PV) array was installed on the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in 2014. A 2 MW addition is planned for the recently completed Mandalay Bay Convention Center expansion which will make the resort the home to the country's third largest rooftop array when finished in 2015. The combined arrays will supply 26 percent of the resort's electricity during peak production.
- MGM Resorts added 31 compressed natural gas (CNG) Cadillac XTS limousines to its transportation portfolio.
For more information about MGM Resorts International's track record towards corporate social responsibility, please visit: www.mgmresorts.com/csr.
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is one of the world's leading global hospitality companies, operating a portfolio of destination resort brands including Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay and The Mirage. The Company is in the process of developing MGM National Harbor in Maryland and MGM Springfield in Massachusetts. The Company also owns 51 percent of MGM China Holdings Limited, which owns the MGM Macau resort and casino and is developing a gaming resort in Cotai, and 50 percent of CityCenter in Las Vegas, which features ARIA Resort & Casino. For more information about MGM Resorts International, visit the Company's website at www.mgmresorts.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mgm-resorts-international-issues-annual-corporate-social-responsibility-report-300139195.html
SOURCE MGM Resorts International